Łukasiewicz – PORT
Łukasiewicz – PORT Polish Center for Technology Development is the Managing Entity for the Virtual Research Institute programme.
Łukasiewicz – PORT Polish Center for Technology Development
is a newly founded research Institute based in the Pracze Odrzańskie district of Wrocław. It is a leading institute within the Łukasiewicz Research Network and the third largest research network in Europe. Its main focus is on transforming research results into a wide range of applications in industry and medicine. The Łukasiewicz Institute employs scientists from all over the world and is one of the best-equipped research establishments in Poland and Central Europe. Its achievements serve the community by building bridges between science and business.
- PORT follows top international standards, combining solutions used by globally leading research institutions with mechanisms employed by flexible business entities.
- The Łukasiewicz Institute conducts research on materials engineering and biotechnology.
- Its structure is based on self-financing international research teams headed by seasoned leaders. Based in Wrocław, PORT attracts scientists from top research establishments in Europe, the US and Asia, ensuring that its research meets international standards.
- Research Team Leaders are recruited and evaluated by international expert panels.
- Among the experts in the materials engineering panel is Prof. Shūji Nakamura, the winner of the 2014 Nobel Prize in Physics and founder of the blue laser.
- PORT is the Managing Authority for the Virtual Research Institute programme – the biggest research programme in medical biotechnology – oncology for years. It was allocated a record-breaking sum of PLN 450 million. The programme will help finance research with strong commercialisation potential in one of the areas of key significance for the community.
- PORT is setting up the Centre for Population Diagnostics, Poland’s first such establishment expected to play a critical role in responding to epidemiological hazards and supporting the treatment of lifestyle diseases.
- One of the key assets of the Centre for Population Diagnostics is its BSL-3 class Fast Epidemiological Response laboratory. It will be the first such facility in this part of Poland, and one of the few in the country.
- PORT has been involved in measures to control the pandemic ever since its beginning.
- PORT offers technology to which it has full rights. Also, it provides patent protection, facilities to test inventions under development and supports implementation efforts.
- The Institute has recorded a year-to-year growth in commercial revenues of more than 70% (2018/2019/2020).
- The Institute is a desirable and credible partner for international corporations such as Roche, Pfizer, Amgen and LG Electronics. It has been involved in supporting Polish businesses and startups, including XTPL and SensDx.
- One of the members of the international Institute Council is Jeong Soo Lee, the Vice-President of LG Electronics, Seoul, providing strong business support to the Council.
Visit website: https://port.lukasiewicz.gov.pl/en/